Los Angeles County Abortion Safe Haven Grant Program
On June 24, 2022 the Supreme Court overturned Roe vs. Wade, allowing states to ban or severely limit access to abortion. California took immediate steps to secure abortion rights and access. Senate Bill 1245 established the Los Angeles County Abortion Access Safe Haven Pilot Program and Assembly Bill 178 appropriated $20,000,000 to fund the program. Essential Access Health was selected to serve as the Program Administrator and the entity that will manage the distribution of the funds and ensure program compliance with statutory requirements.
The goal of the grant program is to support innovative approaches and community and patient-centered collaborations to safeguard and expand patient access to abortion and information about services available and provide linkages to care.
Grant funding supports one or more of the following focus areas:
- Training: Provide training to abortion providers, other health care workers, and service providers in other sectors
- Education: Conduct community-based education activities that provide medically accurate education and training tools that counter misinformation
- Clinical care: Advance and improve access through expanded clinical services
- Practical support: Coordinate care and provide patient support services to make access a reality including transportation, lodging, childcare, etc.
- Infrastructure: Build secure infrastructure to ensure the safety of patients, staff and volunteers
- Other: Engage in activities that increase and improve access to abortion care including providing legal support and educating decision makers
- 1.20.23 First RFP released
- 3.10.23 Funding decisions announced
- 3.31.23 Year one funding released
- 4.01.23 Project start date
The next RFP will be released in early 2024.
Questions can be directed to: LASafeHaven@essentialaccess.org.