Working with Foster Youth: Providing Quality SRH Services
Foster youth face significant barriers to seeking quality sexual and reproductive health care and report that the process can sometimes feel stressful and traumatic. Providers have shared the need for enhanced clarity regarding how laws regarding consent, confidentiality and mandated reporting may differ for youth in care.
This on-demand webinar reviews new and existing laws related to delivering sexual and reproductive health education and clinical care to foster youth. It includes concrete tools and strategies that can be incorporated into your practice to help you become a "foster friendly" and foster-informed sexual and reproductive health provider.
- Health Educators + Counselors
- Medical Directors
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the child welfare “system” and use the basic terminology of foster care.
- Identify key factors that influence how foster youth seek and receive sexual and reproductive health care.
- Describe how barriers to accessing care lead to disparate negative sexual and reproductive health outcomes for foster youth.
- Explain to a foster youth the consent, confidentiality and mandated reporting laws as they relate to foster youth rights.
- Identify concrete tools and practices that can be incorporated into your health setting to become a more “foster-friendly” and foster-informed practice.
The course fee includes CEU processing (CPH = 1.0; CHES = 1.0; Nursing = 1.2; CME = 1.0).
Certified in Public Health (CPH):
This event was sponsored by Essential Access Health, an approved provider of CPH Recertification Credits by the National Board of Public Health Examiners for 1.0 credits.
Health Educators (CHES®):
Essential Access Health, provider #98021, is designated as a provider of Category 1 continuing education contact hours in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. Health educators attending this program may report up to 1.0 contact hours.
Provider approved by California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider #CEP 12241, for 1.2 contact hours.
Essential Access Health is accredited by the California Medical Association (CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Essential Access Health designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.