Syphilis in Pregnancy + Congenital Syphilis: Addressing the Epidemic in California
Rosalyn Plotzker, MD, MPH, STD Fellow, CDPH STD Control Branch, UCSF/CAPTC
What will you learn?
Over the last several years, California has experienced steep increases in congenital syphilis rates, and syphilis rates among pregnant patients. This webinar will review the epidemiology and pathophysiology of syphilis during pregnancy and the vertical transmission of congenital syphilis. Current prevention and intervention strategies for reducing syphilis infection during pregnancy and reducing congenital syphilis cases will be shared.
After this session participants will be able to:
- Describe the epidemiology of syphilis in pregnancy and congenital syphilis
- Explain the pathophysiology of syphilis in pregnancy and congenital syphilis
- Identify effective prenatal and postpartum congenital syphilis prevention strategies
- Describe the current syphilis reporting protocols for local health departments
Who should attend?
- Disease Intervention Specialists
- Health Educators + Counselors
Provider approved by California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider #CEP 12241, for 1.2 contact hours.
Essential Access Health is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Essential Access Health designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.