Pregnancy Options Counseling: A Best Practice for Sexual + Reproductive Health
Parker Dockray, MSW, Executive Director, Backline
Andria Hancock-Crear, MPH, Trainer and Project Director, Essential Access Health
What will you learn?
Learning Exchange will host a live one-day Pregnancy Options Counseling training in Los Angeles through a new and exciting partnership with YourBackline.org. Learn how to provide unconditional, judgment-free support for the full spectrum of decisions your patients make about pregnancy, parenting, abortion and adoption. This interactive training covers new ways to support patients in their pregnancy and parenting decisions and how to make quality referrals. Learn in a safe space with other health care providers, educators, counselors and advocates.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the role of the pregnancy counselor.
- Assess personal opinions and beliefs concerning pregnancy options and decisions.
- Identify federal and state guidelines and recommendations for conducting a pregnancy counseling session.
- Describe to clients key elements of pre-natal care, adoption and abortion.
- Create a quality pregnancy options referral list.
- Apply patient-centered counseling techniques when conducting an unbiased, nonjudgmental and non-coercive pregnancy options counseling session.
Who should attend?
- Family Planning Staff
- Medical Assistants
- Health Educators
- Social Workers and Counselors
Note: Parking at the California Endowment is free.
The California Endowment
1000 N. Alameda
Los Angeles, CA 90012