Pregnancy Intention + Contraceptive Information: Interactions for Reducing Congenital Syphilis
Most intervention strategies for reducing Congenital Syphilis (CS) have focused on prenatal care and what to do AFTER getting a syphilis positive test result for a pregnant person. Not nearly as much has been done with advancing more preconception care strategies for syphilis infected persons who can get pregnant or cause a pregnancy or those at high risk for syphilis who are not yet pregnant.
In this online course, we will share new tools and scripts for having more preconception care conversations with syphilis positive persons and those at risk. Such interactions should include pregnancy intention questions and basic contraceptive information. Participants will also learn how to investigate and provide integrated referrals to health sites that do syphilis testing and treatment, run pregnancy tests, offer a range of contraceptive methods and provide prenatal care for those who are pregnant or desire pregnancy.
- Disease Intervention Specialists / Contact Tracers
- Public Health Nurses
- Health Educators + Counselors
- Medical Assistants
- Community Outreach Workers
- STD Testing + Contraceptive Counselors
- Outreach Workers
- HIV Counselors
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Ask syphilis infected populations pregnancy intention questions.
- Conduct a brief overview of effective contraceptive methods and identify methods that may help overcome access issues.
- Provide integrated referrals to health sites that address the needs of syphilis positive persons at risk of transmitting congenital syphilis.
- Access tools to use when having preconception care interactions with syphilis positive persons.
The course fee includes CEU processing (CPH = 1.0; CHES = 0.5; Nursing = 0.6; CME = 0.5).
Certified in Public Health (CPH):
This event was sponsored by Essential Access Health, an approved provider of CPH Recertification Credits by the National Board of Public Health Examiners for 1.0 credits.
Health Educators (CHES®):
Essential Access Health, provider #98021, is designated as a provider of Category 1 continuing education contact hours in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. Health educators attending this program may report up to 0.5 contact hours.
Provider approved by California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider #CEP 12241, for 0.6 contact hours.
Essential Access Health is accredited by the California Medical Association (CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Essential Access Health designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.