Motivational Interviewing Workshop (Los Angeles, April 2020)
When used consistently and effectively motivational interviewing (MI) is a simple yet innovative counseling technique that can increase birth control continuation rates, reduce unintended pregnancy and high-risk sexual behaviors. Successful implementation of MI techniques have also been shown to increase STD/HIV prevention behaviors and treatment follow through and over all patient satisfaction.
In this workshop, participants will get hands-on practice using MI techniques to provide patient-centered sexual and reproductive health counseling. Participants will also learn how utilizing MI techniques can save time and improve patient health outcomes.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the Stages of Change Model and the basic principles of motivational interviewing.
- Identify reproductive life plan questions and motivational interviewing techniques that are appropriate to efficiently clarify pregnancy intention and reduce patient ambivalence.
- Demonstrate the use of motivational interviewing skills for counseling patients on a variety of health behavior changes.
- Apply motivational interviewing techniques to your work in order to maximize rapport and promote healthy behaviors.
Who should attend?
- Family Planning Staff
- STD and HIV Educators and Testing Staff
- Medical Assistants
- Health Educators
- Social Workers and Counselors
- Nurses, LVNs
- Community Health or Outreach Workers
- Any staff who counsel or educate others on health or behavior choices
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) available:
Provider approved by California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider #CEP12241, for 4.2 contact hours earned.
Health Educators (CHES®):
Essential Access Health, provider #98021, is designated as a provider of Category 1 continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. Health Educators attending this program may report up to 4.0 entry-level contact hours.
Certified in Public Health (CPH):
This event was sponsored by Essential Access Health, an approved provider of CPH Recertification Credits by the National Board of Public Health Examiners for 4.0 credits.
Los Angeles, CA 90010