Best Practices in Pregnancy Options Education Online Course
Quality pregnancy options education includes providing medically accurate, unbiased, non-judgmental information about abortion, adoption and parenting. Best practices include sharing information about related laws, timing, the decision making process, pros and cons, health risks, and the range of beliefs about all pregnancy options available. Supportive learning environments must also be created before facilitating objective discussions about sensitive topics like pregnancy options.
This online course reviews practical tools and interactive teaching techniques for pregnancy options education that school and community health educators can implement in school-based settings.
- Informational Quizzes for participants to test their knowledge after viewing course video modules
- Educator's Toolkit with FREE pregnancy options education lesson plans and resources for school and community-based educators
- LIVE Expert Chat Question and Answer sessions (periodically - email notices will be sent to all course registrants when future live chats are scheduled)
Who should attend?
- Health + Sexuality Educators
- Middle + High School Teachers
- Youth Educators
- School Nurses + Counselors
- Community-Based Educators
- Medical Assistants
- Family Planning Staff
- Sexual Health Educadtion Curricula Developers
After this course participants will be able to:
- Provide medically and legally accurate descriptions of closed and open adoption, medical and surgical abortion, pre-natal care, "safe surrender laws" and parenting using the slides provided in the Educator's Toolkit
- Identify the California Healthy Youth Act 2016 requirements for teaching pregnancy options to middle and high school students
- Determine if what I am teaching about pregnancy options is in compliance with best practices and/or the CA Healthy Youth Act and make changes to be in compliance or improve the lessons provide
- Download free medically accurate, age-appropriate pregnancy options education teaching techniques
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) available:
Provider approved by California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider #CEP 12241, for 1.2 contact hours.
Essential Access Health, provider #CA0046, is designated as a provider of Category 1 continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. Health Educators attending this program may report up to 1.0 contact hours.
Certification in Public Health (CPH):
This event was sponsored by Essential Access Health, an approved provider of CPH Recertification Credits by the National Board of Public Health Examiners for 1.0 credit.