Providing Age-Appropriate Sexual Health Education Online Course
People who receive accurate and age-appropriate sexual health education throughout their lives have better sexual and reproductive health outcomes and healthier, more respectful relationships. Age-appropriate sex education helps youth make healthier decisions and develop into sexually healthy adults. Introducing the concept of reproductive life planning at early ages can motivate youth to delay sexual intercourse and to use more effective, long-term contraception when they do decide to have sex.
This online course will cover how community and school-based educators, teachers, and parents can provide comprehensive, medically accurate sex education from birth through adulthood. Specific topics for each developmental stage will be covered. Helpful online resources are also reviewed.
- Informational Quiz for participants to test their knowledge after viewing all course modules
- Educator's Toolkit to help school and community-based educators provide age-appropriate sex education
Who should attend?
- Health + Sexuality Educators
- School + Community-Based Educators
- Counselors + Social Workers
- Youth Educators
- Family Planning Staff
- School + Clinic Nurses
- Child Development Students + Professionals
After this course participants will be able to:
- Discuss the impact sexual and reproductive health education can have on human sexual development
- Identify a broad range of human sexuality topics that can be taught
- Describe strategies for facilitating sexual and reproductive health learning with different age groups
- Identify expert recommended resources and tools for providing age-appropriate and medically accurate sexual and reproductive health education
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) available:
Provider approved by California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider #CEP 12241, for 1.2 contact hours.
Health Educators (CHES®):
Essential Access Health, provider #98021, is designated as a provider of Category 1 continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. Health Educators attending this program may report up to 1.0 contact hours.
Certification in Public Health (CPH):
This event was sponsored by Essential Access Health, an approved provider of CPH Recertification Credits by the National Board of Public Health Examiners for 1.0 credit.