Essential Access Health seeks a Controller to work hand-in-hand with the CFO to develop and implement finance policies and procedures, and strategies for the Finance Department, with an eye toward continuous improvement. The Controller will participate in the cross-organizational Senior Strategy Group and work closely with the CFO to lead and develop the nine-person Finance team, with specific responsibility for Title X program fiscal administration, financial systems, facilities, and operations. The Controller will also partner with the Director of Human Resources and Benefits Administration to provide financial support as needed for payroll and employee benefits.
Applicants can be based in either the Los Angeles area or the San Francisco area.
Essential Access Health is a 50 year old non-profit organization with a $30 million annual budget. The organization champions and promotes quality sexual and reproductive health care for all. As the administrator of California’s Title X (ten) federal family planning program – the largest Title X system in the nation - Essential Access receives federal family planning funds, which it allocates to multiple delegate agencies across the state that provide direct family planning and related preventive health services to low-income and uninsured patients.
- Collaborate with CFO to develop short and medium range financial goals and strategies.
- Provide technical and process improvement expertise to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by keeping current with applicable regulations and researching existing and new legislation to determine impact to the company, consulting with outside advisors as needed.
- Monitor and respond to federal, state, and local governmental inquiries related to grants and taxes.
- Manage financial administration of Federal Title X program, including delegate agency financial training and monitoring, fiscal program compliance, fiscal audit reviews and other fiscal reporting for the Title X family planning program.
- Work with Title X staff to evaluate delegate agencies’ administrative and fiscal procedures to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations and award guidelines.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with CFO at each delegate agency, provide supportive, high quality financial training and technical assistance to subrecipients, and oversee finance-related communication with delegate agencies.
- Keep up-to-date on information and technology affecting functional area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance. Recommend finance process improvements.
- Manage the Sage Intacct accounting software system to ensure Essential Access is optimizing the capabilities of the software already purchased, other available Sage modules, and add-on software options to maximize efficiency and streamline accounting processes.
- Regularly review department’s use of technology to ensure confidential information is secure; develop and implement related policies as necessary.
- Oversee organization’s facilities and operations functions.
- Oversee organization’s insurance policies and annual renewal process.
- Work closely with the Director of Human Resources and Benefits Administration to provide financial support as needed for payroll, employee retirement plan, and benefits administration.
- Additional duties, as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job.
- 7 - 10 years’ experience and proven success managing finance, accounting and benefit functions within a medium to large size non-profit healthcare organization.
- Experience in senior finance or accounting function with FQHC or similar organization strongly preferred.
- Bachelor of Science degree in accounting. Master’s Degree and/or CPA preferred.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, accounting practices and systems.
- Experience with Federal and State funding contracts, regulations and requirements preferred.
- General knowledge of employee benefits and ERISA regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues and individuals inside and outside the Company.
- Ability to work effectively and relate well with others including; superiors, colleagues, and individuals, both inside and outside the Company. The employee should exhibit a professional manner in dealing with others and work to maintain constructive working relationships.
- High proficiency with Microsoft computer software (Excel, Word), and computerized accounting systems.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure to meet deadlines, with strong results orientation.
- Ability to analyze complex financial/business data and develop recommendations and creative solutions.
- Strong planning, organizational, supervisory and project management skills.
- Experience in strategic thinking and effective leadership recruiting, maintaining and developing a strong team.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise mature judgment, initiative and critical thinking.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a team setting.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
A current Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certificate is preferred. California Driver’s License, current registration and current automobile insurance coverage is required if you drive on company business.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Access Health’s mission is to insure comprehensive family planning and other health services to all Californians. All employees must be supportive of the organization’s mission and goals and must be able to handle mature subject material about reproductive and sexual health in a confident and professional manner.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Essential Access offers a competitive salary + benefits. Essential Access is an M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.