Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Essential Access Health (Essential Access) is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to lead and oversee the financial, accounting, tax compliance, employee benefits, contracts and facilities of the organization. This position is responsible for the strategic leadership of the finance and accounting functions, and provides financial strategy, budget management, and forecasting needs to the organization. The CFO maintains a high level of fiscal accountability and will be responsible for all financial/accounting policies, procedures including financial reporting, accounting, budgeting, internal control, audits, risk management, auditing investment management, contracts, facilities, tax and other regulatory compliance.
This position is based in Essential Access Health’s Los Angeles office.
Essential Access champions and promotes quality sexual and reproductive health care for all. Essential Access achieves its mission through an umbrella of programs and services including clinic support initiatives, advanced clinical research, and provider training. Incorporated in 1968, Essential Access has offices in Northern and Southern California with 60 employees and an organizational budget of $30 million.
Essential Access funds family planning and reproductive health services for low-income and uninsured clients through more than 50 health care organizations collectively, operating more than 250 health centers serving more than 600,000 women, men and teens annually in California. Essential Access’ provider network includes a broad spectrum of service organizations, including federally qualified health centers (FQHCs), city and county health departments, stand-alone family planning health centers, school-based clinics and community health centers.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls, financial procedures, and is responsible for all financial accounting and processes including general ledger, payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable, and cash flow management.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities including 990/199 tax returns, Federal Financial Reports (FFR) and financial reports to funding/grant agencies.
- Ensure corporate compliance with federal and state laws applicable to 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(9) organizations.
- Oversee the administration and activities of the organization’s 401(k) retirement plan including annual review of investment fund performances.
- Oversee the administration and activities of the VEBA employee health and welfare plan for the CA Benefit Alliance for Non-Profits (CBAN) business, a trust under 501(c)(9).
- Oversee the coordination and activities of contracts with multiple funding agencies, sub-recipients, consultants and other vendors.
- Oversee the coordination and activities of independent auditors ensuring all audit issues are resolved for the organization’s audits of financial, 401(k) retirement and voluntary employee beneficiary association (VEBA) plans; and the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with U.S. GAAP and other required supplementary schedules and information.
- Ensure timeliness of monthly accounting close and lead development of monthly program financial reports for program directors/managers’ review.
- Lead the coordination, development, and monitoring of organization budgets including contract/grant budgets, and monitoring of expenses to budgets.
- Stay abreast of accounting and tax regulation changes to ensure compliance with mandated U.S. GAAP and IRS regulations changes.
- Oversee the activities of the organization’s facilities.
- Serve on the 5 member Executive Leadership Team to provide financial strategy and guidance to achieve the goals and mission of the organization.
- Present financial reports at Board meetings and provide staff support to Finance/Audit/Investment Committees of the Board of Directors, including preparing organizational budgets, financial statements, investment performance reports, investment policy statement, exempt-organization tax return reviews and other documents.
- Hire, train, develop, and evaluate staff in Finance, Contracts, Facilities and CBAN functions.
- Additional duties, as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job.
- A minimum of 10 years experience and proven success in finance, accounting, and benefits in a healthcare setting.
- Bachelor of Science degree in accounting or finance and/or equivalent relevant professional experience. CPA and/or master’s degree preferred.
- Experience with and knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, accounting practices and systems.
- Experience with and knowledge of Federal and State regulations and requirements to meeting funding contract requirements.
- Experience and proven success with financial modeling, change management, strategic planning and effective leadership recruiting, maintaining and directing a strong team.
- Proven ability to multitask, work well under tight deadlines and with competing priorities to produce quality products.
- Proven ability to taking the initiative, critically problem-solve, recommend strategic direction, and influence change.
- Ability to motivate, work effectively and relate well with others, both with Staff and across departments, as well as outside stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and implement effective administrative procedures.
- Excellent communication, presentation and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and web based applications and platforms.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of time.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Essential Access offers a competitive salary + benefits. Essential Access is an M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.